Excel file problems: Excel file format is invalid

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Excel file problems: Excel file format is invalid

Post by jmuehleisen »

Several times a month I'll get a message like this:
When I try to import an excel file, I get error 23 (excel file format is invalid).
Or sometimes the donor manager just crashes (or just stops working) without any error message or any feedback.

Here is what I suggest trying with the Donor Manager and Excel are having trouble communicating and you are getting an "Excel File Format Invalid" error message.

Open the file in Excel, and resave it under a new name, but set the file type ("Save As ..." to Excel 5.0 / Excel 95.

That will usually put you back in business.

Close Excel.

Now, try pointing the Donor Manager to that newly create file. That usually works.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jdgoodenough
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Re: Excel file problems: Excel file format is invalid

Post by jdgoodenough »

jmuehleisen wrote:Several times a month I'll get a message like this:
When I try to import an excel file, I get error 23 (excel file format is invalid).
Here is what I suggest trying with the Donor Manager and Excel are having trouble communicating and you are getting an "Excel File Format Invalid" error message.

Open the file in Excel, and resave it under a new name.

If that doesn't work, then open the file and "Select" all of the data in the file and place it on the <Clipboard>

Now, create a new, blank Excel file and <paste> the contents into the new sheet. Then, save that sheet with a new name.

Close Excel.

Now, try pointing the Donor Manager to that newly create file. That usually works.
I need this, but I have vista and can't figure out how to export from excel. When I try to import from donor manager "import giving information" I get error 2. it automatically wants to import a CSV file. If I change it to excel, I get the error. What can I do? :oops:
jgoodenough319.blogspot.com
www.go-ministries.org
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Let me add another note to this.

Most of the time, if you get an "Excel File Format is Invalid" error message, it can be fixed like this.

Open the file in Excel. Then, save it as an "Excel 95" file. Then close excel and try again to process that file with the Donor Manager.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
kemberlillo

Post by kemberlillo »

Hello,

I tried each of those ideas mentioned above for file format being invalid. To no avail. I can't save it to a Windows 95 format anyway on my Vista 2007 HP. Any other tips? I'm a bit tired of trying, but I don't want to give up!

Kember
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I can't save it to a Windows 95 format anyway on my Vista 2007 HP.
Actually, you probably can save it to Windows 95 (at least I can on my Vista / Office 2007 Dell). It is still supported, but the option is buried a bit in the "Save As" dialog box.

Try this:
excel_1.gif
excel_1.gif (32.04 KiB) Viewed 29093 times
Then click on the "Save as type" box and choose "Microsoft Excel 5.0 / 95 Workbook"
excel_2.gif
excel_2.gif (34.26 KiB) Viewed 29093 times
Be sure to save it using a different file name just to keep your original file unchanged.

Let me know how that goes for you.
John Muehleisen