Donor Manager on a portable HDD to share between computers

Do you have a favorite tip that you'd like to pass on to everyone else? What shortcut do you wish you had discovered your first week of using the program? Post it here! Share what you have learned!
BinBuka
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Donor Manager on a portable HDD to share between computers

Post by BinBuka »

We both need to access our donor and address contacts on separate computers. After re-synching our accidentally separate changes for the umpteenth time we were fed up with wasting time this way.

I installed Donor Manager onto a portable USB hard drive. I placed a shortcut titled "Donor Manager on Firelite (name of the drive)" in the root of the drive, and now we only have one working copy of Donor Manager! Hurray! Plug in the Firelite drive, Explore it and double-click on the icon. We tried placing a shortcut on the Start menu in Vista, but if you reboot the computer without Firelite plugged in the shortcut loses its connection and won't work the next time.

It seems to be working well for us; we'd rather live with occasionally waiting for a turn at DM than with forgetting which computer holds the "live" copy of our data. If we both remember to backup onto our laptops after making changes, then we're storing backups on three separate devices without much effort. I don't see any other messages about doing this sort of thing; has anyone else tried it?

Kim
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by jmuehleisen »

Good tip. Thanks for posting that.

Another option is to use a flash disk / usb thumb drive.

How to do that is described here: http://www.donormanager.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation