Paper & Email newsletter method

A place for discussion on how to use the program more effectively

KristaB
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Paper & Email newsletter method

Post by KristaB »

I was excited to see the "Both Paper & Email" newsletter sending method in DM6. Previously I had a second "email" copy of certain partners so that I could send them a newsletter both ways. I deleted those extra partners, but I can't seem to get the new method to work the way I intend.

When I choose "Both Paper & E-Mail" as a Basic Filter, the report or list comes back with every partner who is Paper and every partner who is E-Mail, but ironically not any partner that is marked Both Paper & Email. I also can't combine the Paper with "Both Paper & Email" to get a complete list of those who need paper newsletters. So, despite my initial excitement, I have not found a way to actually use the method when sending my newsletter.

Has anyone else gotten this to work?

Thanks,
Krista
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Paper & Email newsletter method

Post by jmuehleisen »

Interesting problem.

It sounds like we need 4 options here:
  • E-Mail Only
  • Paper Only
  • Either E-Mail or Paper
  • Both E-Mail and Paper
Does that sound right to you?
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
KristaB

Post by KristaB »

That combination would help, but it's not the most straightforward way to get the partner lists I need. I don't know that I would use Paper Only, E-Mail Only or Either Paper or E-Mail. And I would primarily use Both Paper & E-Mail to get to the list of people that need to be added to the Paper Only and Email Only lists. It would work best if Paper included Paper (Only) and Both Paper & E-Mail (and E-Mail worked the same for generating a complete list for E-Mail).

I tested it now (v. 6.09.03). If I change a partner to Both Paper & E-Mail, that partner does not appear on any lists filtered by Newsletter Sending Method.

I don't know how others would use it, but I would use:
* Paper (includes Paper and Both)
* E-Mail (includes E-Mail and Both)
* Both Paper & Email (probably not needed for sending a newsletter, but helpful to identify those partners easily)
* None

Thanks for considering,
Krista
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I've made a number of changes in how this works in the Donor Manager, starting with version 6.10.01.

Do a live update and see if that helps.

Here is the change:

If you say "give me paper newsletter recipients" you will get those flagged as "paper" and also those flagged as "both."

The same logic is applied to the "e-mail newsletter recipients" list.

Let's see if we are getting closer.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation