How to have 2 sets of data: one personal, one for organizati

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

How to have 2 sets of data: one personal, one for organizati

Post by jmuehleisen »

I am often asked if the Donor Manager can be set up to keep more than one mailing list. The answer to that is "yes".

There are several different approaches that you can take.

One, you can maintain just one mailing list and use the "User Definable Fields" to categorize partners (this is the method I use, but my needs are very simple).

Or, you can keep two separate lists with two separate sets of data files. Let's take a look at how to set this up (it takes just a minute or two to do).

Keep Two (or more) Separate Lists: If you want to maintain 2 totally separate lists, follow this procedure. It requires a few steps to set up, but here is the general procedure.

Let's assume that you will install your organization's mailing list into a folder called c:\donor5_organization. (You will, of course, want to modify this to fit your situation).

Step 1: Do a normal installation of the Donor Manager.
This will get the program onto your computer, installed in c:\donor5 (if you follow the default settings).

Step 2: Create a shortcut on your desktop to the program.
The shortcut should be set to run "c:\donor5\donor.exe". Give the shortcut the name "Donor Personal" (or whatever you want). This will point to the data in the default data directory (c:\donor5\data).

Do a <right click> on your desktop:

Specify the name of the program you want the shortcut to run:

Give the shortcut a name:

Step 3: Create a New Folder for the Organization Files
Using Windows Explorer, create a new folder on your hard disk to hold the second data set for the organization list. So, for example, you could create a folder called "c:\donor5_organization"

Give the new folder the name "donor5_organization"

Step 4: Create a Shortcut to the Organization Data
Create another shortcut on your desktop, this time to point to the Organizational data set of the program. This is a two step process.

First you must create the shortcut, as above (except change the shortcut name)

Now, the second step is to change the "Start in" property of this new shortcut. To do this, do a right click on the new shortcut for the Organizational data.

Change the "Start In" folder name to c:\donor5_organization:

That takes care of setting up the program for two data sets. To work with your personal partners list, you would use the "Donor Manager Personal" icon, and to work with the Organizational data, you would use the other.

Step 5: Change the Backup Settings for the Organizational Data Set
With a normal installation, the Donor Manager makes backup copies of your data in the "My Documents" folder in another folder called "Donor Manager Backup". It also makes a copy of your mailing list in an Excel file called "PartnerNames.xls" in the "My Documents" folder.

You will want to customize the backup folder name and the Excel file name for your organizational data. This is done from within the Donor Manager program itself.

Start up the Donor Manager, and click on the "Personalize" button on the program home page.

On the lower right side of this screen, you will want to change the folder name for the backup and the Excel file name to something more appropriate.

That about does it. You should now be set up for 2 different data sets. One icon leads to one set, another leads to the others.

If you need any specific help in setting this up, feel free to contact me: support@donormanager.com.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation