Adaptable for Linux and Netscape?

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

randal
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Adaptable for Linux and Netscape?

Post by randal »

The screenshots didn't work in Netscape 7.1 when I clicked on them. Is the program adapted to the Netscape email client, and to others besides MIE? And I see a question on the Mac, so how about Linux? I may be migrating later this year away from Windows.

I took a peek and liked what I saw. Will be downloading soon. Came in from the notice in today's Brigada Today. Thanks for your great work on this.
jyee

Post by jyee »

since it's written in visual foxpro, i highly doubt that it will run natively in linux... although, you could probably wrangle some usability with WINE (www.winehq.com).

of course, you could always run a virtualized windoze pc in linux via vmware (www.vmware.com) or via vpc on a mac (www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx)
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Screen shots in Netscape

Post by jmuehleisen »

re: screenshots and Netscape
For some reason, the screen shots section of the website doesn't like anything except IE. It's more a function of FrontPage (which writes the javascript for the screen shots section of the site) than a FoxPro issue.

I also noticed that the screen shots section of the website doesn't work under Mozilla either.

re: Linux
On the question of running the Donor Manager under Linux, there was a discussion on one of the Foxpro discussion boards recently about how to do just that. I don't recall the details ... I'll have to go back and see if I can find that thread.

But the gist of it was that it can be done. Years ago there was a Unix version of FoxPro, but that was a looong time ago!

The Donor Manager does run very nicely on a Mac using virtualpc according to my Mac users.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Running under Linux

Post by jmuehleisen »

Here's a link to info on running Visual Foxpro applications under Linux using WINE:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... 26rnum%3D1

If anyone gets this to run, please post your experience here.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
MrZed

I'll give it a try shortly

Post by MrZed »

John, I have a few computers running linux and would be interested in giving this a shot.

Dan
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

another link to running DM on Linux

Post by jmuehleisen »

Here's another link I ran into on the WineHQ website about running Visual Foxpro apps on Lixux via WINE:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=296

This page has Visual FoxPro 6.0 specific informationan:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?app ... 6514401252

And here is another article titled "Running Visual FoxPro in Linux" from FoxTalk magazine.

http://www.paulmcnett.com/vfp/wine/VFPo ... talk1.html
John Muehleisen
MrZed

FoxFire 9 and linux support

Post by MrZed »

Any chance that the update to FoxFire 9 will run under linux? Or do you think that Microsoft is deliberately moving away from enabling this package to run under linux?

I'm really enjoying for FireFox web browser and learning to use the Thunderbird e-mail client.

Yea! Open Source.

Dan
MrZed

Post by MrZed »

Any chance that the update to FoxFire 9 will run under linux? Or do you think that Microsoft is deliberately moving away from enabling this package to run under linux?

I'm really enjoying for FireFox web browser and learning to use the Thunderbird e-mail client.

Yea! Open Source.

Dan
MrZed

Post by MrZed »

Yea! Open Source.

Dan
MrZed

Post by MrZed »

Yea! Open Source.

Dan
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

VFP 9 and Linux

Post by jmuehleisen »

I don't know if it will run under Linux or not. M$, of course, doesn't encourage it. In fact, the license technically says you can't run it under a non M$ operating system, but I've read some articles that say that that restriction actually isn't valid or enforceable.

FireFox is a great browser. I love browsing with tabs. Right now, IE is definately in second place.
John Muehleisen
schraf

donor manager in linux

Post by schraf »

Just in case people are still looking at using Donor Manager on linux, it does work with wine.

The installer only seems to work if you set wine to use win95 or winME. But once it is installed it seems to work under the winXP setting too.

I initially tried it with wine-20050830 and was able to install it, but it gives error messages when it is loading the database files at startup.

I then tried wine-20050310 and it seems to work great. So far I have not seen any problems or functionality that does not work. But I am new to the program so I am not doing anything very advanced yet.
MrZed

Installs nicely with Crossover Office

Post by MrZed »

It was easy to install and run DM with Crossover Office on linux.
MrZed

Post by MrZed »

I'm now running Donor Manager via WINE on Ubuntu Linux 8.04. It just seems to install and run.

There are minor issues with fonts and the size of text in the various windows, but it's generally good.

Dan Zachary
lizpfeifer

Re: Adaptable for Linux and Netscape?

Post by lizpfeifer »

One of my colleagues wrote this:

"Rumour has it that the newer version will stop running under Linux, because FoxPro 9 doesn't work under Wine."

I note that the discussion here is 5 years old, so I just want to confirm it before responding to him.