How to fix: Cannot find the FoxPro support library

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

How to fix: Cannot find the FoxPro support library

Post by jmuehleisen »

I recently got this message via email from a friend and Donor Manager user:
Dear John,

Greetings!

Some time back both of my computers crashed. Unfortunately, this was not the first time. The good news is that everything was backed up or was recovered.

The problem that I am having is starting the Donor Manager program. It basically tells me that it cannot locate the Microsoft Visual FoxPro support library.

What do you suggest?

This is what I answered back to him:

Sorry to hear about the crash. Bummer. But, I'm glad that you had things backed up! You are a rare person (in many ways).

Now, let me explain the error you are getting.

The first time the Donor Manager is installed on a person's computer, there are actually 2 things installed.

First is the Donor Manager program itself (donor.exe), usually installed into the c:\donor5 folder.

The second thing is the FoxPro support library, usually installed into c:\windows\system32.

The support library actually contains the "database engine". This only has to be installed once. When I update the donor manager, I only have to update the donor.exe program (which is significantly smaller).

So, if you move to a new computer (or rebuild a computer's hard drive from scratch), the support library (or "run time" as it is often called) needs to be reinstalled as well. Just putting the c:\donor5\donor.exe file in place won't do it. When you try to run it, you get the error that you are seeing.

So, if you have a Donor Manager CD somewhere (even if it is an old version of the DM), you need to reinstall from that. Then do a program update to install the donor.exe from the latest version.

Do you have a Donor Manager CD? If not, the files can be downloaded, but they are not small. About 6 megs. If your connection is reliable enough to handle that, you can download the "full install" from the Donor Manager website (www.donormanager.com). If not, let me know and I can either mail you a CD or send it with someone who is going over soon.

Pass our greetings to all!

John
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation