Moving from DM 5 to DM 6

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Moving from DM 5 to DM 6

Post by jmuehleisen »

If you are wanting to move from DM 5 to DM 6, here are some tips that may help you.

If you have DM 5 installed on computer, and want to move to DM 6 on the same computer, follow these steps:

Usually, your DM 5 is installed in c:\donor5 and your data files are in c:\donor5\data.

The DM 6 installer installs the program in c:\donor6 and creates a data folder in c:\donor6\data.

On the DM 6 "home" page, there is an option to "migrate your DM 5 data" to DM 6. This routine will ask you to find your DM 5 data folder (generally c:\donor5\data) and then it imports that data, converts it to the DM 6 data format (which is different than DM 5), but leaves the DM 5 data untouched.

Generally, these "both versions are on the same computer" migrations go without any problems. If you do run into problems, feel free to contact me for help ... I'm happy to help.

If you have DM 5 installed on one computer, and want to move to DM 6 installed on a different computer, follow these instructions:

Using a flash drive / USB "thumb" drive, copy the c:\donor5\data folder from the "old" computer.

Then, install DM 6 on the new computer. When the program runs for the first time, it will offer to "migrate" DM 5 data. You can point it to the DM 5 data folder that you put on your thumb drive.

Or, if DM 6 is already installed and running, just run the "DM 5 -> DM 6 migration" option from the DM 6 "home" page and point the migrator to the donor5 data folder on your thumb drive.

Again, these "migrations" generally go without problem.

If you only have your DM 5 data as a "pack and go" file (with a .tza extension), follow these instructions:

Unfortunately, the DM 5 "pack and go" file format (with a .tza extension) is not compatible with the DM 6 "pack and go" file format (which uses a standard ".zip" extensions).

So, you cannot take a DM5 "pack and go" file and use the "import data from a pack and go file" on DM 6.

It just won't work.

So, you have 2 options:

One, if you still have access to the computer with DM 5 on it, simply use the approach above and copy the c:\donor5\data folder to a thumb / usb drive.

If you don't have access to a computer with DM 5 on it, you can email me your DM 5 pack and go file (with a .tza extension) and I'll be glad to convert the file for you and email back to you a DM 6 compatible .zip format "pack and go" file.

These take me just about a minute to do, and I'm happy to help here.

Just email to john@donormanager.com

Feel free to contact me with questions you have or problems you may run into. I'm happy to assist.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation