Updating Unthanked Gifts Report

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

kking5172004

Updating Unthanked Gifts Report

Post by kking5172004 »

I am having problems with updating my Unthanked Gifts Report. When I mark my manual Contribution Listings by Month as Thanked, the report does not update. When I click 'Mark all as Thanked' on the individual Partner Detail Contribution History, then it marks all items as thanked for all contributors.

I would like to know how to update my Unthanked Gifts Report as I go, because rarely do I have the time to write all my thank you notes at one time. Can anyone help me? :(
guitarmanvt
Type the middle number, please (202): 302

Post by guitarmanvt »

Have you tried marking the gifts via the Partner Information screen? In the "Giving History" tab, you will see a table of gifts. Unthanked gifts are highlighted as yellow. You can double-click a single month to mark it as Thanked. You can also double-click again to unmark it.

NOTE: This method does not create a TOUCH record, as happens via the Gift Review screen. You'll have to do that yourself if you want.
RandyWBT

TOUCHes

Post by RandyWBT »

guitarmanvt wrote:Have you tried marking the gifts via the Partner Information screen? In the "Giving History" tab, you will see a table of gifts. Unthanked gifts are highlighted as yellow. You can double-click a single month to mark it as Thanked. You can also double-click again to unmark it.

NOTE: This method does not create a TOUCH record, as happens via the Gift Review screen. You'll have to do that yourself if you want.
I recently learned that when I press THANK or Mark All As Thanked on the Giving Review tab that a TOUCH should be added automatically. Something similar is supposed to happen when I make an address change. Maybe when I send newsletters or emails too?

I have no such touches or more info items on any of my donor records. Do I need to turn something on for this to happen?
I am using DM 5.39.05
Randy
guitarmanvt

Re: TOUCHes

Post by guitarmanvt »

There seem to be three separate issues here:
  1. Thanking from the Giving Review tab should definitely create a Touch record. If it's not working, then John M's going to have to answer that.
  2. Address changes made during Gift Import (and review) should create a More Info record. When you manually change an address, a More Info record is not automatically created. (However, it's a good idea to put one in yourself.)
  3. If you want a Touch record for newsletters or e-mails*, you're going to have to add it yourself. The best way is to use the Apply Touch to Many Records button on the Touches tab. It can be tricky, though, so make sure you get the filter right!
*My Personal Recommendations for Newsletters and E-mails (you can ignore this part)

NEWSLETTERS: I recommend using Touches when you do paper newsletters; that way you know if you sent them one and when. If you've got the time, you can enter the gist of the hand-written note you put in with your letter to them. (You are putting in hand-written notes occassionally, right? Posty notes work great and Staples has some really cool artsy ones.)

E-MAILS: I do not recommend using Touches for every e-mail, since you're keeping the important ones anyway. (Right?) Critical e-mails you might want to summarize in the Touches.
guitarmanvt

Re: Updating Unthanked Gifts Report

Post by guitarmanvt »

kking5172004 wrote:I am having problems with updating my Unthanked Gifts Report. When I mark my manual Contribution Listings by Month as Thanked, the report does not update. When I click 'Mark all as Thanked' on the individual Partner Detail Contribution History, then it marks all items as thanked for all contributors.

I would like to know how to update my Unthanked Gifts Report as I go, because rarely do I have the time to write all my thank you notes at one time. Can anyone help me? :(
Back to the original problem: I just bumped into it, too.

The "Unthanked Gifts Report" seems to ignore any thanking done from Giving Review. I.E., when I click the "Thank" button, it does check off the box. It also adds a Touch and turns off the yellow highlight in "Giving History". But, somehow, it does not remove the record from the "Unthanked Gifts Report".

I tried clicking "Mark all gifts as thanked" for an individual partner. :shock: It marked all gifts for all partners as thanked! Doh! This is actually correct behavior, I just didn't realize what I was doing. (Guess I should RTFM, right?)

A couple thoughts:
  • Any way to mark all gifts for a single partner as thanked?
  • What criteria does the "Unthanked Gifts Report" use? (It doesn't seem to be looking at either the Touch or the Thanked checkbox.)
Andrew
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Post by Andrew »

I have many unthanked gifts (according to the individual partner records and the gift giving review tab). However, when I run the "List of gifts not yet thanked", I only see gifts from one donor. I have doublechecked that I am not in a certain list, I've tried restarting, and have installed version 5.80. It was working fine just before that, and I can't figure out what I did that prevents the other info from showing. Thanks for your help, I really like the program!
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Thanks for this bug report.

I'll take a look and see if I can find the problem with this report.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Further Info: it appears that the giving database (assuming there is something like that) is messed up - the "Giving History" fields in Partner record don't match the "Giving Details" fields. I see extra donations appearing, negative donations, missing donations, etc. It is pretty frustrating that possibly our entire giving history records are messed up! I can't think of anything I've done that would have affected so many records (almost all financial giving histories have been affected).
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

Thanks for the additional information.

If you would, make a "pack and go" file of your information and email it to john@donormanager.com.

I'll be glad to take a look at it and see if I can identify what might be going wrong.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Sorry I didn't see your reply. I can't seem to re-create the situation I was experiencing. All I know is that things were really messed up with the Unthanked Gifts Report... I ended up printing all the donors since our last thank you, and then marked all as thanked.

I'll try to do better at checking back for a reply.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

No problem.

If this problem occurs again. I'd love to help try to figure out what is going wrong here.
John Muehleisen