Data Files

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

jmish
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Data Files

Post by jmish »

I'm trying to set up three different computers to use the same database files, so that they will all stay synced. I've got two PCs set up beautifully using Dropbox. The third machine, however, is a Mac. I've been able to install DM on the Mac using Winebottler but I haven't been able to get the emulated DM app to access the files in Dropbox. Is there a way from within DM, to change where the program accesses the data files? I want to be able to tell DM to use the files in Dropbox instead of the files in the Wine folder. Any suggestions? Thanks.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Re: Data Files

Post by jmuehleisen »

At this point, the answer is "unfortunately not."

The current version of DM does not allow you to specify where it finds its data files.

This is coming in version 6, though.

Now, one thing you could try is to use a "symbolic link" ... this allows you to include your c:\donor5\data folder in your dropbox folder ... through a (you guessed it) "symbolic link."

There are several free Windows utilities that let you set these up easily.

Try this one, for example: http://geeknizer.com/create-symlink-in-windows/
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmish

Post by jmish »

That worked perfectly. Thanks.

Trying to Make an Alias on my Macbook didn't work, but the Symbolic Link did. Thanks for the suggestion.

I read somewhere else that you'd like to make a native Mac app by DM 7. Is that still the plan?

Cheers.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Post by jmuehleisen »

I read somewhere else that you'd like to make a native Mac app by DM 7. Is that still the plan?
Yes. That is indeed the plan.

And very possibly a native Linux version as well.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation