Printing Single Envelopes

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm using DM 5.33.05 and printing to an HP LaserJet 4000 Series printer with a dedicated envelope feeder. When I print multiple envelopes, it works perfectly but when I print a single envelope from a Partner Record, it won't print from the feeder, it tries to pull from Tray 1. Also, the envelopes aren't formated correctly. I have two questions:

1. How do I select the tray/source when printing envelopes.

2. How do I set the envelope configuration. Compared to printing from Envelopes Report tool, the single envelopes have the text slid down between 0.25 and 0.5 inch and about 1. to 1.5 inches to the left. This causes the address field to look a bit out of place and most of the return address is off of the envelope.

Thank you.
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Single envelope options

Post by jmuehleisen »

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your posting. As you have noticed, Donor Manager uses different routines for bulk envelopes (using Word) and for single envelopes (handled directly by the DM). The current version does not give you a lot of choices in the formatting of the single envelopes, but that has been improved in the next update (which should be out in the next 2 weeks or so). This will be version 5.36.

Even in the current version there are some things you can “tweak” in the /Personalize /Single Envelope Options page. But it is not as flexible as the new version will be.

As far as using the envelope feeder (I love mine), here’s what you’ll have to do: You’ll have to set up a printer driver for envelope feeding with all of the settings the way you want (probably, you have already done this). Then, in the new version, you will be able to specify which printer driver to use when doing the single envelopes (as opposed to your normal reports).

I’ll be interested in your feedback on how well that works with your printer.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thank you, John. I'm looking forward to the new version. Donor Manager is such a wonderful tool. Your work is a real blessing to my family as we go through our initial support discovery with SEND International.

Thank you for the suggestions. I had not setup a seperate driver for printing envelopes, but I liked the idea so I did it.

Results of your suggestions? It's still pulling from Tray 1 (Manual Feed) which is OK for this single envelope printing. In order to resolve the formatting, I told DM that the envelope is pulling from the back, even though it pulls from the front. Works fine like that!

Blessings to you, your family, and your ministry.

Michael
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

Single envelope options

Post by jmuehleisen »

Michael,

I'm glad that you have it working ... kindof.

I have just finished putting in an update to the single envelope routine that may help. It allows you to specify a printer driver to be used for single envelopes, and I think that may help you a bit here.

It will be in the next update (anything after 5.35.20). I hope that helps a bit with your envelope feeder.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin

more changes to the single envelope routines

Post by jmuehleisen »

Greetings all.

I just wanted to give you a bit more news. I have added some more features to the single envelope routine in 5.35.22.

You can now select from 2 sizes of envelops here. One is the normal "letter" size of envelope (# 10), and you can also choose a smaller, "card" size envelope (a bit bigger than 4 x 6 inches).

This one is by request of my wife, who, by the way, gets the ultimate priority on the "Hey, sweetie, can the program do this?" types of requests.

Give it a try and see how it works for you. If there are other envelope sizes you'd like support for, let me know. It doesn't really take long to add things like this.
John Muehleisen