Tip: DM Backup strategies / a few ideas / updated !

Here are the most frequently asked questions about the Donor Manager. You might even find a few answers !

When was the last time you did a backup of your DM data?

What's a backup?
No votes
It's been longer than 3 months
No votes
Between 30 and 90 days ago
33%
At least every month
33%
Whenever I make changes to the data
33%

Total votes: 3

jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Tip: DM Backup strategies / a few ideas / updated !

Post by jmuehleisen »

I often get requests for ideas on the best way to back up Donor Manager data. Let me share a few ideas and tell what what I do

First of all, the Donor Manager has some built in routines for making backups. Basically, you just select the destination for the backup and the Donor Manager copies the files to that place.

If you are backing up to a CD, be aware that some CD burning software works great with the DM (putting the backup directly on the CD from within the DM). Other CD burning programs do not do as well.

Now, keep this in mind also. Whenever the Donor Manager exits, it makes a backup of the data files in a folder called "Donor Manager Data Backup" in the "My Documents" folder. If you regularly back up your "MY Documents" folder, then you are good shape.

So, if you want to do a manual backup, you can backup that folder in the "My Documents" folder, or you can back up c:\donor5\data or c:\Program Files\Donor Manager\data (depending on where you installed your copy of the program) and that will do it too.

But, lately, I've been using the "Pack and Go" routine for my backups. Although it was designed to transfer your DM data from one computer to another, it's actually a very nice and easy backup routine as well. It puts everything into a single file and compresses it (basically like a zip).

You can put that file on a CD, a USB Flash Drive, or even a diskette.

Or do what I do: e-mail it to some web based account (Yahoo, GMail, Hotmail). Then, you have a secure, online copy of your partner data accessable from anywhere.

I do this everytime I make any significant updates to my donor data, so I have multiple backups available. I also recommend that people do this before they travel with their computer, just in case it gets stolen or damaged in some way. That mailing list is extremely important and you want to protect it.

Or, send a copy by email to a family friend who will keep that file on their computer, and you have a fairly comprehensive backup strategy.

I hope that helps!

John
Last edited by jmuehleisen on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation
jmuehleisen
Site Admin
Type the middle number, please (202): 202

Backup tips updated

Post by jmuehleisen »

The article above has been updated with some additional backup tips.
John Muehleisen
Mentoring Emerging Christian Leadership in Africa for Excellence / Integrity / Innovation